Abubakar Sheikh1 , Muhammad Atif Saleem Agwan2 , Muhammad Amin3 , Muhammad Athar Khan4 , Ismail Sheikh5 , Syed Imran Shah6
1. Assistant Professor Operative Dentistry Fatima Jinnah Dental College.
2. Assistant Professor Operative Dentistry Karachi Medical and Dental College & Abbassi Shaheed Hospital. < firstname.lastname@example.org >
3. Assistant Professor & Consultant, Department of Operative Dentistry, Dental section, Dow International Medical College; DUHS, Karachi.
4. Research Unit, Department of Medical Education King Saud bin Abdulaziz University Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. < email@example.com >
5. Professor, Department of Operative Dentistry, Altamash Institute of Dental Medicine, Karachi.
6. Assistant Professor, Department of Operative Dentistry Women Medical College, Abbotabad. < Imranshah_78@hotmail.com >
Corresponding author: “Dr Abubakar Sheikh ” < firstname.lastname@example.org >
Volume 23, Issue 3 (July - September 2014)
The objective of this study was to compare the efficacy of ibuprofen and celecoxib in controlling post endodontic pain.
A Quasi Experimental study was conducted in the Operative Dentistry Department of Altamash Institute of Dental Medicine during fourteen months study period. One hundred patients who required root canal treatment and fulfilled the criteria of the study were equally divided into two groups, A and B. Patients in group A were given Ibuprofen and those in group B were administered Celecoxib for 2 days following treatment. Patients rated their pain on a visual analog scale at initial and then 4, 8, 12, 24 and 48 hours after first visit of endodontic therapy. Data analysis was performed through SPSS version-13.0. Independent samples t-test was used with p-value <0.05 considered as significant.
There was no statistically significant difference in post endodontic pain between the groups of patients taking Ibuprofen and Celecoxib. (p value: Pre-op 0.54, 4 hrs 0.62, 8 hrs 0.86, 12 hrs 0.57, 24 hrs 0.61, 48 hrs 0.09)
Ibuprofen and Celecoxib have similar efficacy in controlling post endodontic pain.
Ibuprofen, Celecoxib, Postoperative pain, Visual Analogue Scale.
How to CITE:
Sheikh A, Agwan MAS, Amin M, Khan MA, Sheikh I, Shah SI. Comparison of Ibuprofen And Celecoxib For Controlling Post Endodontic Pain. J Pak Dent Assoc 2014; 23(3):106-111